Envirolok™ is the manufacturer and supplier of a green bioengineering methodology and system for building 3 dimensional mechanically interlocked soft vegetated earth-scaping systems for tree protection, erosion control, stormwater management, retaining walls, slope stability & streambank protection. Envirolok™ has demonstrated appeal where immediate structural stability and integrity is required and a beautified vegetated outcome is desired. Envirolok™ can be simply engineered to fit applications where conventional bioengineering or hard solutions can’t work functionally or economically. Furthermore, with the inclusion of PermaMatrix, a Biotic Soil Amendment incorporating Biochar, Envirolok™ structures can sequester carbon and filter hydrocarbons in stormwater applications for an added environmental benefit and additional LEED points.
The Envirolok™ system employs unique connection spikes and a patented cinch and twine methodology to provide 3-d interlocking strength to structures prior to vegetation, which can be accomplished by way of hydroseeding, live plugging, brush layering or live staking. The Envirolok™ system is an economical and environmentally friendly alternative to other soft bioengineering solutions and hardscaping materials such as gabion baskets, rip-rap, manufactured stone, armourstone or concrete.
With respect to hardscape systems and other similar products, Envirolok™ offers the following advantages:
1. Envirolok™ provides internal and external structural integrity prior to the establishment of vegetation and becomes stronger with maturity. Offers soft positive 3-dimensional mechanical interlocking which accommodates seismic activity and differential settlement without effecting integrity
2. Envirolok™ can be mechanically connected to geogrid, soil nails or earth anchors to provide soft permanent armouring protection and can be installed under rip rap for additional scour protection. Can also be mechanically connected to bedrock and/or armourstone to provide soft buffer toe protection
3. Engineered to 120 years, Envirolok™ will not rot or mildew, is non-biodegradable and is resistant to damage from insects and rodents
4. Provides wave action absorption and high velocity channel flow protection to minimize secondary erosion effect.
5. GTX bags provide filtration and sedimentation functionality and are water permeable, meaning full face drainage, which minimizes site specific drainage requirements. Also minimizes the disruption of natural water flows and reduces stormwater run-off. Additionally with inclusion of specific media, Envirolok™ can filter specific contaminants.
Superior Vegetation/Restoration Outcome
1. Envirolok™ creates small lifts of high quality soil confined within double layer geosynthetic every 150mm
2. Provides consistent & contained high quality growing medium to 100% of the face of structures. No bulging, seepage or contamination with other soils void of nutrients
3. Eco-zones every 5” where water accumulates and native seeds can germinate
4. Envirolok™ can be hydroseeded, live staked, brush layered, live plugged or all methods combined
5. Can be planted with native species to benefit from deep rooting
6. Envirolok™ can be field fitted around existing trees to protect root systems and re-establish lost soils
7. Structures can mimic nature. Designs need not be linear. Natural contours, variable batter, and dynamic designs create beautified vegetated structures.
8. PermaMatrix™ Biotic Soil Amendment with Biochar is added to native soils to ensure successful germination and sustainability of native vegetation.
1. Can be installed in difficult to access sites requiring low-impact construction methodologies. No footings required.
2. System is quick, easy and forgiving to build
3. GTX bags can be pre-filled off-site to speed construction and minimize staging requirements
4. Envirolok™ can be installed with low-skill, low-cost labour
5. Waste Management – Land clearing and water course waste materials can be chipped for inclusion in Envirolok™ GTX bags minimizing off-site disposal
6. Envirolok™ structures can be adapted to fit any terrain, grade changes or undulations and can be tiered to accommodate site specific conditions.
Sustainability & Green Infrastructure
1. Envirolok™ qualifies for a potential 21 LEED Points
2. Compliant with Sustainable Sites Initiatives
3. With the inclusion of PermaMatrix biotic soil amendment with Biochar, Envirolok™ sequesters carbon.
4. Low Impact Development. Minimally invasive construction
5. Reduce stormwater volume, peak flow, and localized flooding through natural site hydrologic restoration
6. Decrease pollutant transport and increase water quality through storm water reduction, filtration, and vegetation establishment
1. Envirolok™ has been approved by numerous Conservation Authorities, Fisheries and Environmental Agencies and approved and stamped by Geotechnical Engineers